History

mosaicThe Episcopal Church, a hierarchical church, traces its heritage to the beginnings of Christianity. The Episcopal Church is an independent church which is a constituent member of the worldwide Anglican Communion. Its origin is in the planting of the Church of England in the colonies in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. We uphold the Bible and worship with the Book of Common Prayer.

Since the end of the American Revolution, the Episcopal Church has been organized on three levels: with a General Convention on the national level, individual diocese, and parishes. All clergy swear loyalty to “Doctrine, Discipline, and Worship” of The Episcopal Church. Today the Episcopal Church has members in the United States, as well as in Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Haiti, Honduras, Micronesia, Taiwan, Venezuela, and the Virgin Islands (both US and British).

The history of Trinity Episcopal Church began in the 1800’s, with the first Parish Meeting being held on April 28, 1885. The stakes were driven on the site of the new church on September 14, 1885, with the first service being held in the Sunday school room on Christmas Day, 1886, and the first service in the church proper taking place on March 10, 1889.

Click Here to view more history of Trinity Episcopal Church of West Pittston.